RC3244 * Ontario ASEK Survival Knife* A92
RC3244 * Ontario ASEK Survival Knife
- The survival knife system includes a knife, sheath and strap cutter multi tool.
- The serrated edge blade is made of .1875″ thick carbon steel with zinc and features saw teeth on the spine;
- Total length of the knife including the handle measures 10.25″ (blade is 5″).The insulated handle is molded over the guard and features lanyard hole and glass breaker.
- ASEK survival knife nylon sheath is flame retardant and includes a Kydex insert, two leg protectors and straps.
- Behind the knife is a strap cutter multi tool which is made of a replaceable blade and high strength aluminum handle that will not melt or shatter.
- Also, the kit has two oxygen valves and shackle wrenches along with a lanyard and bead for easy locations.
The Aircrew Survival Egress Knife or ASEK is a US Army aircrew survival knife, designed and initially manufactured by the Ontario Knife Company, and entered service in 2003.
- sawing through aircraft skin and acrylic glass windows
Required features included:
- a point used to stab
- a hand guard
- light weight
- holes for tying the knife to a stick to act as a spear
Other features, such as an electrically insulated handle, were deemed desirable, but not required. Packaged in the sheath are a special tool for cutting seat belts and a diamond impregnated sharpening disk. The ASEK, made by Ontario, was adopted after trials by US Army Natick Soldier.
The US Army’s Defense Supply Center purchased 11,881 Army ASEKs in 2004 and 2005 for equipping aviation life support equipment (ALSE) vests.